Sunday, July 31, 2016

July 31, 2016

I'm sorry I'm late with this post, in case you're keeping track so far. Life gets in the way sometimes, and there's just not enough time to do everything I want to do. Anyway, I'm reading Storm of Steel, by Ernst Jünger, and it's fascinating. It's a WWI book by a German soldier who survived the entire war, often in some of the biggest battles for months at a time, and then went on to be a prolific author and die aged 102! I've read some things on WWI before, but this is another level in terms of the crudeness of the conflict. Jünger's book is famous for not editorializing much, and simply telling things as they happen. He doesn't go into the reasons for the conflict, or whether or not it was just, or any of the comments you see in other WW1 literature. He just tells, in honest detail, what the soldiers went through. I'm about halfway through at this point, and I think I'll finish it by midweek.

No comments:

Post a Comment